Thursday 3 March 2011

coincidence?!

For my final uni project I am doing using the inspiration of Indian pop art meets quintessential British pop art and optical art. My main influences include the likes of Bridget Riley, Victor Vasarely, Andy Warhol, Lichenstein, Piet Mondrian and my most favourite designer Manish Arora.

What really attracts me to these artists and fashion designer is the graphic element to all their work. I don't know if it is because I find it just easier to draw geometric shapes free hand or the fact that the colour is easier to apply onto geometric shapes? Even drawing flowers is very hard for me; delicate looking ones anyway.

What shocks me more is that I started researching into pop art and Indian pop art last summer for this project and now it is in fashion everywhere! I have just seen the fall line up for Dried Van Noten and the first thing I see is black and white optical art. It makes me wonder sometimes does that mean I would make a good trends researcher? If any employers are looking through this right now I AM GAME! I love researching trends, and it has happened before which is strange but it makes me just think yes that I am along the right lines.

I just picked up my digitally printed fabrics from Kenny our lovely print technician at uni and they look amazing! I love the brightness and sharp tones of the colour. I am a very colourful person. Although I do not always show that in how I dress, secretly I am like a fly attracted to bright lights; except for the fact I go towards the bright colours in fashion, art, homeware basically anything that is extremely colourful and textural.

This passion that I have for colour and texture I hope to bring to my final year work. I will be using techniques such as devore, spandex printing, vinyl, flock, foil, embroidery and pigment printing to achieve these textural elements.


My first sample was based on the women in India and how they are perceived in modern society. I used the images of women who had a sad expression on their faces mixed in with the Mondrian influenced block print for a background. I think that the textural element of the half tone could be placed inside the coloured blocks. I will work into this image by using spandex printed which when dried raises itself, it's almost like a baking process; but without the oven.

 

I wanted to use the same feminine influence of the women but in an animation concept. The eye is taken from the influence of the rickshaws in Tamil Nadu, India. The owners of these rickshaws paint and animate their rickshaws to give them some personality. I think that is a very quirky element and bring new life to my samples. It is almost like giving my samples a personality. The sample will be worked into by using french knotting as embroidery in places to give a raised heavy texture.


This is my ultimate favourite! This sample is one that I would like all my samples and work to aspire to become. I just live the line quality in this image. My colour palette has 37 colours in total; bearing in mind they are all tonal colours of the same main colours. I love the barely there ochre colour against the bright yellow. I will be using devore to take the colours out from areas and introduce colours back in with beading.



The above print the one in green is one that I have done using the influence of Andy Warhol. Such an iconic artist and I really admire the way he uses colour. Colours that you wouldn't normally put together actually work. The clash of colours is amazing. The image itself gives a sense of texture as some areas are lighter and more grainy in texture. 

I tried to use Andy Warhol as a source of inspiration but feel like I may have totally ripped him off! 



I love taking an animated twist onto my work. This lemon and chilli inspired image has a very good story behind it.

Lemon and green chillies tied on the doorways of shops, business establishments and Hindu homes is a common sight in India. But why is it hung on the door? Lemon and green chilly tied on a thread are hung outside the door to keep away Alakshmi, or Jyestha, who is considered inauspicious. Alakshmi is the sister ofGoddess Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of fortune and prosperity. But Alakshmi brings poverty and misery. Alakshmi likes sour, pungent and hot things. Therefore shopkeepers, merchants and people tie lemons and green chillies on the doorways of their shops and homes so that Alakshmi will only come up to the door and eat her favorite food and satisfy her hunger and leave without entering the shop or house.

It is believed that after consuming lemon and green chillies, Alakshmi loses her urge to enter the house or shop. She will turn around without casting her malevolent eye.

Sour food is also avoided during festivals to keep Alakshmi away. She does not like sweet food, which is the favorite of Goddess Lakshmi. Therefore Hindus always prepare a sweet dish during festivals.

1 comments:

leafyonnie said...

hi, i was hoping to do a transcription of your second piece down the page for my gcse coursework, i was wondering if i could have your name for reference? and would that be okay to transcript your work? could you possibly email me at leafyonnie@yahoo.co.uk or post a comment in reply. thanks!

Post a Comment